21 July 2014

When To Chill Out (After You've Done All Your Hair Research)

You've watched countless of YouTube videos, you've asked YouTubers a gazillion questions, you've read blogs and excerpts of the Science of Black Hair and everything you could get your typed fingers on as it relates to black hair.

Now what?

Now, you CHILL OUT..or Go Easy as we Jamaicans would say.

If you've done all of the above in terms of research and then some and have been getting the same answers for black hair topics, just CALM. DOWN.

That's what I've had to tell myself of late with regards to the abovementioned..because if you don't, you're going to have information (and possibly brain overload) and you're going to second-guess everything about your hair.

You know the basics:

  • Wash your hair 7 - 10 days
  • A deep conditioner is just Conditioner with oils
  • A Protein Treatment is just eggs/mayo/yogurt/honey and you follow up with conditioner or oil to balance your hair out
  • Moisture and Seal with the L.O.C. or L.C.O. method
  • Protective Style and Low Manipulation Styles for length retention

 DASSIT.

Stop stressing yourself about products (what I've been doing of late) and just CHILL. OUT. All you have to do is follow the basics and tweak it as it relates to your hair needs.

Deeven bodda bout hair typing (sorry I stressed about this so much in the past) and go after your hair texture. What I've found that does help is to find Bloggers, YouTubers with the same texture and if you want, see if the techniques they use for their work for you; and even then it might not work. It really is trial and error work to get something that works exactly for you.

For my hair, in just the week I left it out, I have noticed the following things:


  1. It is super coarse
  2. It's manageable and feels moisturized once I give it some L.O.C.O. care
  3. It clumps
  4. It has no curl definition
  5. It retains moisture when it is left in a low manipulated/protective style (braids, flat twists)
  6. It loves to be left alone and untouched (hand in hair is a big no-no)
And so I'll leave it at that. Deeven touch it. It seems to have a personality of its own and it is feisty. So I'm giving it space lol.

I say this to say, that I was about to go down the path of doing a bunch of things to see if it would do what I want when really and truly, it isn't about that life. All it'll do is be over-manipulated and break..after which I'll be the same one wondering why it didn't grow like I expected it to.

So I have decided to chill out. I'm doing the foundation work and simple basics and then I'll leave it be. If you're newly natural like me, I'd advise you to do the same.


Be well,
Gibbie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

IG: GibbieGibbie || Twitter: @GibbieGibbz