09 March 2014

Texlax. Always on the fence?

Hey there!

I really can't speak for other texlaxed ladies but I can speak for myself. Since I've started this hair journey, I've been going back and forth repeatedly about whether I should go 100% natural or remain texlaxed. Now, I spend a chunk of my free time watching YouTube videos, reading blogs, looking at hair I come across ever so often on Instagram and the like. And then it happens: "I want to go natural" "I think I'll stay texlaxed". It never ends. There is no conclusion and of late, every time relax day comes around (I'm currently 15 weeks post) I put it off and do something with my hair. I've decided (the only decision I could make :) ) is do a Pros versus Cons list and see how it stacks up. So here goes:

Natural Hair

Pros:

  • I could do some bomb braidouts and twist outs with my hair!
  • No relaxers! Ever!
  • Hair is at its strongest when compared to texlaxed hair
  • I'm dealing with hair one or two steps down from natural hair so..Why not? Huh? Huh?
  • It would be so awesome to see my natural hair long (even to waist length maybe?). So awesome.
  • I get to say stuff like "100% natural" 


Cons:

I have Type 4 hair (this isn't a disadvantage btw)..and by the looks of it, it's 4c so:

  • (MAIN ONE) Single Strand Knots! Scariest thing ever! It looks most annoying. I'm bound to have them
  • Do I have the patience to comb through my hair in its natural state?
  • Do I have the time to devote to combing this hair? Granted, the roots during stretches and overall new growth texture is that of my natural hair, but dealing with 100% of that? Could I do it?
  • Would I be able to manage a "twa" and could I rock my hair at that length?
  • I wouldn't readily see a difference between neck length and bra-strap length if it even grew that far (shrinkage).

Remaining Texlaxed 

Pros:

  • No Single Strand Knots 
  • I can readily see my length after relaxers or straightening
  • Braidouts give pretty good definition versus bone straight hair
  • Hair is manageable so long as I run my hair under the shower during stretches


Cons

  •  If I want a sleek, straightened look I'll have to flat iron or go under a dryer (despise them equally) because hair is always "puffy" in its normal state
  • Working with semi-natural hair so it may be time consuming especially during stretches

So..by the looks of these long "cons" I've ended up in the same place I started - Texlax. The "Pros" of both weigh heavily on the mind regardless but it does calm me a bit once I've actually written it down. I was starting to think I had a "Natural Nazi" inside of me asking me questions about "What are you really afraid of?" "WHY don't you want to embrace your natural hair?" But alas, she's also calm at the moment and here ended my thoughts on the topic.

How about you? What are your pros vs cons on natural vs relaxed hair?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

IG: GibbieGibbie || Twitter: @GibbieGibbz