27 March 2014

An Official Setback. SET ALL DI WAY BACK.

A couple of days ago I drafted this post and decided to shelf if because it was rife with disappointment and a great deal of sadness. I have since calmed down and realised that 1) things happen and 2) it was a lesson which I know I will learn from because I have analyzed it and I have a clearer understanding as to why and how this setback happened.


How it started


When I was 15 weeks post, I decided it was time to end the relaxer stretch because I was having a really hard time dealing with my hair and I noticed I was seeing split ends. I was following the regular HHJ routine of doing a protein treatment and incorporated hair mayonnaise into my wash routine and deep conditioned after.  After the wash (without thinking about length checks or documenting it via blog), I trimmed about 1 - 1 1/2 inches from my hair all around going section by section. I styled my hair with my go-to relaxer stretch style perm rods. 

I wore the style out for the week and by the weekend thereafter I wanted to try braids one last time before swearing it off completely as I have terrible itching when I wear braids. Before installing the braids, I figured if I'm relaxing my hair after I take the braids out, then another protein treatment would be needed to strengthen my hair before that relaxer. I did another protein treatment that weekend. I put the braids in, took them out (they weren't done properly to me) and re-installed the braids. On Monday last I was randomly running my fingers through my hair (through the canerows - they're Crotchet Braids) and realised there were PATCHES OF HAIR WHERE I ONLY FELT MY NATURAL HAIR. My relaxed hair had COMPLETELY BROKEN OFF in about 3 or 4 sections. As in, there was no relaxed hair there, only new growth. Now, since they're in canerows I kinda sorta freaked out:
I lost it. Then I went on YouTube and searched for breakage and how often it occurs and left comments under videos of people I thought who knew my struggle . I expected it somewhat but I wasn't expecting this. I was ashamed and thoughts of cutting all my hair came over me. I haven't taken any pictures. I was (am?) too embarrassed. My friend who's almost bald-headed told me to cut it off (of course she would). I was beyond hurt. 

Over the past couple of days since this week's "realisation", I took down the braids, saw it wasn't so severe, did a Co-wash and oil rinse, re-installed he braids (carefully - and very loose around the sections) and I have calmed down since then.

From this setback I have learned the following so far:


  1. My hair is protein-sensitive
  2. Slacking off on Moisturising & Sealing after a protein treatment is a HUGE no-no
  3. My new-growth is about 1 inch in the "patched" sections lol
  4. My hair grows a little more than 1/4" per month in most parts of my hair and 1/2" in others.
  5. Moisturise. Moisturise. MOISTURISE.
  6. My natural hair loves the water but my relaxed hair is easily waterlogged which makes it a little more difficult to detangle. I'm going to start experimenting with pre-pooing with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a thicker oil. I'll be saturating or covering my hair with it, leaving it in for 30 minutes to an hour and then try detangling in sections.
Even if I wanted to relax my hair now, I wouldn't. I wouldn't chance a protein-breaking bond service on this "in-treatment and recovering" hair. For now, I'll be just using my homemade braid spray on my hair and my castor oil on my scalp. I also think I'll be doing that Co-wash & oil rinse technique more often as as well. I'm nurturing my hair back to health and I hope to see the back of this setback.

I have plans to do something else with my hair that may help it significantly. 

Stay tuned for the next post!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

IG: GibbieGibbie || Twitter: @GibbieGibbz