12 May 2014

Hair Reasoning: "Once you see that new growth.."

Once you see that new growth and you see those curls "springing out" like they've been in bondage..you're inclined to transition to natural.



 My natural hair
With product (left), No product (right) 




What has been happening of late (at a fast rate I might add) is the number of relaxed ladies transitioning to natural hair. It's a bandwagon for some and those that are transitioning for that reason might go back to relaxed when they realise it's no cakewalk and the others might, in this process, grow to love their curls/coils/kinks throughout their natural/transitioned hair journey. 

I myself have thought about going natural some time early last year for no reason (that I can remember just now) but changed my mid months after learning about the process of "Texlaxing". Fast forward to now and I have decided to transition to natural hair after months of deliberation. Looking back at it now, when I did this post I was heavily thinking about it  but was not ready to commit to going natural.

I have never had a thought of relaxing my hair since I started transitioning. I think it's because I'm just tired of relaxing it and I want it to just be. After the breakage it had and some scary movie detangling sessions thereafter, I have calmed down and have taken time with my hair. If it takes an hour to detangle I set time aside to detangle and I'm doing whatever it wants. I tend to put my hands in my hair endlessly touching my natural hair so in a bid to get my hands out of my hair, I braid it back to back taking some days for it to breathe in between. 

My Hair Type etc.
By the looks, composition and feel of it, I have 4C Type hair. It's coarse throughout with tight curls and coils at the front and around the periphery of my head and loose curls everywhere else. It grows a little over 1/4" inch per month and I expect 4" of length by November, my one year transition mark. At this point, I'm not completely tied to keeping my relaxed ends because it is shoulder length, but I would like to transition to relieve my bf's anxiety of cutting it too short lol.

Moisture issues
I have asked on message boards, Youtube and Instagram of like-Type 4 hair ladies how to moisturise (and retain moisture for) Type 4 hair and found my solution: the good ol' L.O.C. I knew the LOC method long before but when moisturising my hair, I'd abandon the "C" for Cream aspect of it because I thought since I used water then oil it would be enough. I was wrong. I now use my DIY leave-in, EVOO (coconut oil does nothing for me - too light) or Castor Oil and Cantu Shea Butter. I'll be purchasing raw Shea Butter when this Cantu Shea Butter is finished. Additionally I do oil rinses (frolic :D) to retain some moisture in my hair.

I absolutely LOVE watching and reading other Transitioner's/Natural hair journeys and that's what I spend my time looking at. I still catch up with Relaxed ladies blogs/YouTube videos..but the funny thing about it is, 80% of them have now gone natural too! *Jadakiss laugh*

Be well, keep safe
Gibbie

1 comment:

  1. Are you nervous about eventually losing your hair? Have you already started to notice thinning hair? Maintaining the health of your hair can prevent thinning hair and hair loss. Many women like you strive for thick, healthy hair, so they incorporate various best hair treatment solutions.

    ReplyDelete

IG: GibbieGibbie || Twitter: @GibbieGibbz